Friday, December 19, 2014

Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #23 - Modern History

If we see you smoking we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate action.
 ~Douglas Adams

Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #22 was Gentlemen and I made a smoking jacket for Patrick.  He's going to wear it for our late night get-togethers with friends on the Victorian Dance Cruise next month.

He liked how comfortable it is and I thought it would be fun to have one of my own.  And not just for the cruise, but for everyday modern wear.  Something different than my normal sweatshirt and sweatpants would be a welcome change.

I used the Folkwear 238 pattern designed for 1930s style.  It contains all men's and ladies' sizes in the same package.

 
Where I had used a black cotton matelassé for Patrick's contrast collar, cuffs, and pocket trim, I used a modern polyester fabric for mine.  The fabric had been given to a friend by his friend who had sewn custom home furnishings, my friend gave it (and some other treasures) to me (everyone knows I'll take any and all free fabric), and there was just enough for the trim on my smoking jacket.  This is a close-up of my trim fabric and the fun pins I found at a craft store which will become my necklace to wear with my smoking jacket during the Victorian Dance Cruise.
 
Isn't the little thimble just perfect for a necklace for someone who sews?
 
Since this is for modern wear, here are my photos with a modern dilemma - learning to use a new phone!
 
Okay, this shouldn't be too difficult....
 
hmmmm.....a little more difficult than I thought.
 
All right!  All figured out!
 
The primary use of all smart phones - the selfie!  With eyes closed, of course!
 
Now for some photos of the puppy, Patrick, lunch, the fallen leaves,...well you know how it goes.
 
Oops, almost forgot - the back of my new modern smoking jacket.
Love,
Jeanette
 
Historical Sew Fortnightly
 
What It Is:  Ladies' Smoking Jacket
The Challenge:  #23 Modern History
Fabric:  Cotton twill and polyester trim
Pattern:  Folkwear 238
Year:  1930s for modern wear
Notions:  Thread
How historically accurate is it?  Use of modern fabric with historic styling.
Hours to complete?  5 hours
First Worn:  Photos and January 2015 Event
Total Cost:  Several yards for the body and free trim, total less than $10.
 
Since you've read this far I'll show you my newest little auction find for this costume.  Squeee!  Aren't they pretty with all their embroidery, beads, and sequins?
 
 




6 comments:

  1. I am struck again by how beautiful you look in your gorgeous natural gray hair. Wigs are fun too, but your hair is amazing. I may be only slightly biased as a fellow 'silver sister' but I just thought I'd let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tracey! Here's to 'silver sisters' everywhere!!

      Delete
  2. Victorian dance cruise?? Sounds like three times the fun. Will look forward to seeing photos. The jacket looks very comfy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Kura! We are so looking forward to it and I hope to have some beautiful photos of my Historical Sew Fortnightly projects in action with two balls, a masquerade party, and some other fun costume get-togethers. The jacket is really comfy and I can see a few more of these in my future! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Oh how lovely! Both your and Patrick's smoking jackets look really fabulous! The colors you chose are perfect! I made my Greg a smoking jacket a while ago and he actually wears it while he smokes his cigars...which is exactly why I made it! I am that geek! I can't wait for you to wear it on your cruise! You will WOW everyone!!!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Gina! I really love these and think we will actually use them even after the cruise! So very fun that Greg wears his!!

      Delete