Monday, July 14, 2014

1910s Suit-A-Long - The Undies

New era, new undies.  All the costumers say that the difference in making the costume historically pleasing is to recreate the correct underthings.  The shape of the body, the posture, and the support of the outer garments all work together to give the historical impression.  I was very confused trying to find the appropriate underthings for the 1910s because the range of styles and hem lengths seems to vary so much through the decade.  Last year I made this costume from an Ageless Patterns pattern for a Titanic Museum visit.  It was a recreation of a 1915 gown:

This year I followed an historically correct pattern from Past Patterns (with a fun fabric) for a dress documented to 1917:

And now the 1910s suit pattern from Wearing History to recreate a suit similar to the green/white suit in this plate:
The only thing all these items seemed to have in common was a very fitted waist.  As I researched the proper underthings and silhouette I found the proper corset in multiple museum websites and ads but I took my cue from this ad as to what else was needed.
This Bazaar Patterns pattern BP9206 for a 1920s Brassiere & Bloomers would be perfect and will be useful for a 1920s dress I'm making soon.

The Folkwear Edwardian Underthings pattern is wonderful and I used it to make a full set earlier this year.
Because the 1910s Suit-A-Long suit will be worn in August in California at Costume College and I want to protect the corset I just finished, I decide I want a full camisole and will make the Folkwear underthings out of a lightweight ivory linen fabric.  Here are the finished camisole and bloomers.


I've left off the gathered flounces from both the petticoat and bloomers and replaced those with a fine pleated net lace.

This also shortened the bloomers for ease in attaching the garters to the stockings.


The petticoat:

This is the post where I made the Folkwear underthings earlier this year:
 
And this is the post where I made the 1910s corset:
 
Time to start sewing the suit!
 

Love always
Jeanette

4 comments:

  1. O....M....Geeeeee! I am so in love with your corset!! I love the color and of course the shape! And I love the 1917 Past Patterns dress! It is sooooo perfect!! Very well done!!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Gina! You know I admire your creations and it means a lot having you enjoy mine! Josie named this the "Goldfinger" corset. hahahaha

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I love it and best of all, I found it that way! Such tiny tiny pleats but they work so well to hold the shape.

      Delete