Sunday, December 24, 2023

1920s Holiday Barbie - On The Queen Mary 2

 


Companion YouTube Video:  https://youtu.be/AMuAtpj2Ts8

There are three historical and vintage costumed dolls in the Holiday Homecoming Collector Series of Hallmark Special Edition Barbie dolls created exclusively for Hallmark Gold Crown Stores.


The first of the series was produced in 1996.



I created and wore the velvet jacket, satin skirt with embroidered net overlay, and velvet hat with vintage plumes.  I'll share links to the blogs and videos with the details.





The third and final in the series was produced in 1998.



I created and wore this gown in 1930s style as I was madly sewing a 1930s wardrobe that year.  I'll share blog and video links.





The second in the series is Holiday Voyage Barbie, produced in 1997.  I had found this doll on Etsy several years ago and planned to recreate the costume this year.  Little did I know the magic that was in store for me - but more on that later!









As most Barbie dolls  Holiday Voyage Barbie has a wonderful story stirring both imagination and emotions for all ages.


The costume details for Holiday Voyage Barbie are so true to the era.




The Barbie dolls I find are usually removed from their original packaging and the boxes are damaged, so their value is minimal.  Holiday Voyage Barbie was still firmly attached to her inner sleeve where she had been for the past 25 years or more.





It's time to take a close look at what it will take to recreate her costume in life-size for me to wear.




This blog post and video will not share the making of the 1920s drop-waist dress.  I recreated the dress earlier for a Gatsby fundraiser and will share that in a separate blog post and video.  This blog post and video will share the making of the faux fur-trimmed coat and the recycled cloche.

The Cloche


Let's start with the cloche.  Originally made for my Historically Accurate Maleficient project, the cloche is made from an Out of a Portrait pattern.  (I'll share links)







By removing the coque feather front trim and creating the black rose from wired ribbon and adding green satin ribbon, this cloche is recycled for Holiday Voyage Barbie and still usable for the original costume.






The Cocoon Coat

The perfect pattern for this coat is one I've already made several times - the Folkwear 503 Poiret Cocoon Coat.



And the perfect lining would be a wonderfully slippery faux satin in perfect Barbie pink!


But staying in that perfect mode for yhe fabric for the coat exterior was a challenge and took most of a year to finally find something that fit both the inspiration and my budget.


For the Victorian Barbie in this series I had used a heavy satin with an embroidered net overlay to achieve the right effect and one day I found on Etsy a velvet on net overlay which seemed not only the perfect design but at a great price.  It was almost shocking how closely the design matched the Holiday Barbie coat design.






It took a while longer to find a red satin that had the heaviness to hold the weight of the overlay and faux fur and the shine and bright color to show through the black net of the overlay, but patience won out and I found a 5 yard remnant that would give the right impression.  Like those fabric weights?


With the fabrics sourced it was time to look for the faux fur trim.  I wanted something that was very snow white against the red coat, but would not be mistaken for fur as it can be sensitive for many people.  I found the right trim and could cut it to the width I desired.



After almost a year, its finally time to sew!  The Folkwear Poiret Cocoon Coat pattern consists of only two main pieces.  But they are large!

Lining in two pieces.



Red satin and velvet net.





The brilliant design of this coat is that the back forms over the shoulder to become the upper part of the front and that seam continues to create the sleeve.  That is repeated for both halves which are then sewn together at the center back.  The steps are repeated for the lining.










With the outer and lining layers complete it's time for the white faux fur trim.  The trim on the Holiday Voyage Barbie coat is very opulent and I wonder what it will take to give that same feel to my coat.  I put it out to my social media friends:  4" width?  or 5" width?




4" width is a solid winner and I prepare to cut my trim to width.  An old sheet on the floor and a cleaned gardening table will, hopefully, ensure that I make a minimum amount of mess in the house.


I measure my width with extra for seam allowances and mark and cut from the wrong side to minimize cutting the "fur" fibers.  But the process is still messy.  Thank goodness for the sheet!



This width will be perfect and the white looks so beautiful against the red and black.


I place the trim right sides together on the outer fabric and sew the trim all the way around the coat.



Then I turn the trim to enclose the sewn seam and align the raw edges.





I follow the same procedure to hand sew the trim to the sleeves.




Taking care to smooth the trim away from the seam, I sandwich the trim between the outer layer and the lining and sew completely around the coat leaving an opening at the lower edge to turn the coat right side out.





The opening left to turn the coat right side out, and the lining sewn to the sleeves, will now be hand stitched and the Holiday Voyage Barbie coat will be fnished!

A Dream Comes True!

But that will have to wait as I have a dream coming true!  After 184 weeks and 5 days I will finally be taking my dream voyage on the Queen Mary 2!  This was a trip I had saved for and sold almost my complete costume wardrobe for and was to happen in May 2020.  It was canceled when the world health crisis happened.  That was to be a Transatlantic voyage from New York to Europe with time in London and Paris and I had my ticket to Fetes Galantes at Versailles in hand.  But life has a way of changing and I've learned that looking forward is the best.  My new voyage would still be out of New York but to 5 sun-drenched ports in the Eastern Caribbean - St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Dominica, Barbados and Tortola.  Holiday Voyage Barbie and some of my 1930s wardrobe would be worn on the Queen Mary 2!






So almost-finished Holiday Voyage Barbie gets packed, transported, and then hung in the Queen Mary 2 cabin closet and the hand stitching finished during a relaxing sea day watching the azure sea from the Bridge cam and from the balcony.



The 1925 Fringe Dress is waiting for her companion Holiday Voyage Barbie Cocoon Coat and Cloche.


And some perfect touches are ready including the most amazing pearl drop and moonstone earrings from Lady Detalle on Etsy.  They so closely recreate the Holiday Voyage Barbie and I love them!







Wearing Holiday Voyage Barbie on the Queen Mary 2













Back Home in North Carolina

I'm now back home with a heart full of beautiful memories.  I did wear some of the1930s creations I've sewn over the past few years and will share those makes in blog posts and videos over the coming months.  I also wore some 1930s warm weather makes from the Art Deco weekend on the Queen Mary in California which was the start of this dream.  I am thinking of making a blog post and video of the Queen Mary 2 and the ports I visited and costumes I wore if that is of interest.  Let me know in the comments.



Here are some close-ups of Holiday Voyage Barbie and the now fully finished Cocoon Coat.










The miniature card enclosed with Holiday Voyage Barbie is an authentic replica of a Hallmark greeting card from the 1920s, discovered in the Hallmark Design Collection.


From Patrick, Tasha Puppy, and me to you and your loved ones, Happiest Holidays and may all your dreams come true in the coming year!

Love always,
          Jeanette

The Historical Sew Monthly - March 2023 - Focus on the Fabric

The Challenge:  Make something in which the fabric colour/ texture/print/material etc. is the central feature of the design.
What the item is:  1920s Poiret Style Cocoon Coat
How it fits the Challenge:  While the design of this coat has survived these past 100 years, the fabric of this particular coat was not only important for the impression I was recreating, but is the absolute star of this garment.
Material:  Satin, velvet-flocked net overlay
Pattern:  Folkwear 503 Poiret Cocoon Coat
Year:  1920s
Notions:  Faux fur trim, thread
How historically accurate is it?  The pattern is very accurate, the materials were only to give the impression for the recreation.
Hours to complete:  14 hours
First worn:  Voyage on the Queen Mary 2 (A once-in-a-lifetime trip and dream come true!)
Total cost:  $70


No comments:

Post a Comment